On Saturday, July 18th I ran my first half marathon, 13.1 miles! And I loved it!! We went down to Bryce Canyon, which is absolutely amazing, and Travis, Jenny and I ran the half marathon. I decided in April, after hearing about several friends of mine running them, that I could do this. I have always in the back of my mind thought I would like to run a full marathon sometime in my life. I don't know why, but the thought has always been there. So, I started running, and mind you I have NEVER been a runner, and I found that I REALLY enjoyed it! It gives me time to myself to think and relax, and helps me get in shape! I was quite surprised by how quickly I was able to run further and faster and I wasn't breathing heavy or too tired at the end. Travis, Jenny and I trained by running down Provo Canyon.
So, back to the marathon. We drove the course the night before and the morning of and all I could think to myself was, dang! That is a LONG drive! And, I'm supposed to run that?! We got to the starting line at about 5:30 and started warming up, which was hard to do since it was freezing cold. At 6 sharp we were off! There were a lot of people, about 1200, so starting out was pretty slow, but after about the first 1/2 mile we were spread out and able to go at our own pace. It was SO pretty running through the canyon! The first drop down into it was amazing! I was pretty nervous about the run, having never done it before, but I got my pace set and was cruising. About mile 8 I was feeling a little tired, but not bad so I kept at it. But then by mile 11 I was really feeling it! But, I just kept running. I've found that when I stop to walk to take a little break, I have a very hard time running again. So, I kept running and before I knew I came around the last corner and there was my dad! Yay! I was so glad to see people I knew, and to know I was close to the end! A little further up was my mom (who did a great job taking pictures for me!), Jon, the kids and Travis. I crossed the finish line! My time was 2:16, I averaged about 10 min. per mile, which I was totally happy with! I was happy to finish!
I was beat when I was done, but all in all I loved it and will definitely do it again! I plan to do another in September, so we'll see how it goes! It's awesome to have accomplished something like that, and we'll see, maybe next year I'll go the whole 26.2 miles!
So, back to the marathon. We drove the course the night before and the morning of and all I could think to myself was, dang! That is a LONG drive! And, I'm supposed to run that?! We got to the starting line at about 5:30 and started warming up, which was hard to do since it was freezing cold. At 6 sharp we were off! There were a lot of people, about 1200, so starting out was pretty slow, but after about the first 1/2 mile we were spread out and able to go at our own pace. It was SO pretty running through the canyon! The first drop down into it was amazing! I was pretty nervous about the run, having never done it before, but I got my pace set and was cruising. About mile 8 I was feeling a little tired, but not bad so I kept at it. But then by mile 11 I was really feeling it! But, I just kept running. I've found that when I stop to walk to take a little break, I have a very hard time running again. So, I kept running and before I knew I came around the last corner and there was my dad! Yay! I was so glad to see people I knew, and to know I was close to the end! A little further up was my mom (who did a great job taking pictures for me!), Jon, the kids and Travis. I crossed the finish line! My time was 2:16, I averaged about 10 min. per mile, which I was totally happy with! I was happy to finish!
I was beat when I was done, but all in all I loved it and will definitely do it again! I plan to do another in September, so we'll see how it goes! It's awesome to have accomplished something like that, and we'll see, maybe next year I'll go the whole 26.2 miles!

4 comments:
WOW you are AMAZING!!! Way to go!!!
Great Job!
YAY Britt!!! Congratulations to you all!! I want to start running so much but before I can I have to lose some weight...my knees can't take it with all of it. Great job Cuz!
Seriously AMAZING!
Post a Comment